*This recipe will make about 18-30 bars
1.5 cups almonds
1.5 cups walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup coconut nectar
2 TBSP raw honey
1 TBSP non-alcoholic vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1. Throw all your nuts in a big bowl and cover with water and soak overnight or for at least 5 hours. This will clean your nuts and make them more digestible.
3. Once the nuts are dry (you can test them by snapping them in half to make sure they are back to being crisp), place them in a plastic baggie and start to crush them up either with your fist or whatever kitchen utensil you like. I find the back of a measuring cup does the trick.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Once the nuts are crushed up, place them all in a big bowl and add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, coconut nectar, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
6. I love getting my hands dirty when cooking so get your hands in there and start mixing all the ingredients together (you can also use utensils to toss together if that works better for you).
7. Once everything is mixed together, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or get out a muffin tin and put in baking liners. (I tried two batches here, one with trying to make these into bars and one in a muffin tin with liners. I use reusable liners which you can find here. I absolutely love these liners and they can be great to make egg muffins as well. I found this recipe worked better in smaller batches and using the muffin tin and the bars didn't hold together as well. Experiment and discover what works in your home!)
8. If using the muffin tin method, which I find did work better here, take a small scoop of the nut mixture and press into the bottom of the muffin liner. Just have enough to cover the bottom of the liner. You don't want to fill the muffin tin up to the top.
9. Place in oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes. These burn really fast so you'll want to watch them carefully. The nuts will look crispy on top and they may be bubbling a little bit when you pull them out.
10. Let the Kind-of Bars rest for 15 minutes out of the oven so that they can cool and begin to harden. Once cool they can be stored outside of the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
11. These Kind-of Bars can be great to carry around with you while on the go or for a quick snack mid morning or afternoon. Enjoy!