3 cups spinach
1 medium onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
1/2 tsp. ginger powder or 1 inch ginger, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. turmeric
2 ½ tsp. garam masala or chinese five spice
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 chicken breasts
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil and add in onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté on medium to low heat until the onions are translucent (about 5-10 minutes). Add all spices and sea salt, except for the garam masala and lemon. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium to low heat, the smell of the spices will change and the mixture will turn to a deep color. If the mixture looks like it may burn, add a bit of water.
2. Meanwhile, cut up the chicken into pieces and put into another pan with 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, cinnamon, and sea salt. Cook on medium heat until the inside of the chicken is white and tender. About 15-25 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and salt to onions and cover the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, occasionally stirring the spinach around the pan to soak up the spices. Remove the mixture from the heat and blend in a blender or food processor until it is a thick mixture.
4. Put the sauce back in the pan and on very low heat add the garam masala and lemon juice. At this point, you can add extra cumin or chili powder to adjust to your taste buds. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until spice and lemon juice are incorporated.
5. Put the chicken in your favorite bowl and pour saag sauce over the chicken. You can garnish with sea salt, red pepper flakes, cilantro or parsley.
6. Turn on some music, light some candles, and enjoy!